I decided to try and make a new treat the other day. It ended up being some of the best tasting chicken I have ever had! The secret to this wonderful dinner is letting the chicken soak in a marinade that includes pickle juice. This is essential because one of the great parts of the Chick-fil-A sandwiches is the taste of pickle. So each little chicken bite tastes like a sandwich with a pickle! Brilliant!
Here’s the Recipe, I omitted the dipping sauce used in the original recipe and instead I dipped the bites in “Healthy Ranch Dip” made from Greek yogurt. Pair it with a side of broccoli and mashed potatoes and you have a great meal for the family!
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup peanut oil, divided (or canola or vegetable oil)
- Whisk together egg, milk and pickle juice, and pour into a large ziplock bag or bowl.Add chicken pieces and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
- Combine flour, powdered sugar, salt and pepper in a large ziplock bag. Shake to combine. Remove chicken from the marinade and add into the bag. Shake to coat the chicken completely.
- Heat half the oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat (6 or 7 out of 10.) Test the oil by dropping in a bit of the flour mixture. If it sizzles, the oil is ready, if it pops, lower the temperature a bit.
- Gently place chicken pieces into the oil with tongs. Do this in 2 batches, as you don’t want to overcrowd the pan. Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on one side. Turn the chicken over and allow to cook for 3-4 more minutes. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate. Heat the remaining oil and continue with the other half of the chicken pieces.